9 years 9 years
Watched this clip today: Google I/O 2009 - The Myth of the Genius Programmer. They do have a lot of interesting thoughts.
- "Low buss factor": Have as many people as possible know how stuff works in order to be resiliant for key personnel being hit by ...a buss, get married, get a child, leave company, lose interest...
- Big fish vs small fish: Safe but don't get better vs steep learning curve but feeling unsafe.
- Leader: Be influenced, open to change mind, admit mistakes (being vulnerable)
- Developing alone vs developing in teams, drop ego, embrace failure (avoid repeating failure), iterate quickly. Hiding hinder development.
- Technology not so great to deal with social problems (like DRM), but can encourage behavior, and defaults are very important.
- One opinion is not enough, 2-3-4 is perfect and 5-6 or more makes decision making hard.